If you are new to TracFone, there are so many things you should know about. Let’s start with the basics and learn more about the company, its advantages & disadvantages as well as if their products are worth buying.
What is TracFone?
First things first. TracFone is a prepaid cell phone company. It offers airtime and phones (that support only their services). One of the peculiarities you should know about is that they don’t have any contracts. What’s more, the airtime is unlimited, i.e. you can talk, text, and browse the Internet as much as you want. To learn more about the company and its mission, you can visit their official site and get everything from the first hands.
For now, let’s focus on the services they offer. You can buy airtime cards that value from 30 minutes to 1500 minutes. Prepaid cards come in 60, 120, 200, 400 minutes or 1 year. There are 2 ways to do that. Either visit the official site and make an online purchase or go to stores like Walmart, Target, Dollar General, etc. to get it from a retailer. Some retailers also sell them online. This concerns Amazon, eBay, and some other stores.
Aside from the number of minutes you get, there are 4 main types of cards. Pick the right one for your needs.
- Regular airtime cards
- Smartphone only airtime cards
- Unlimited smartphone cards
- Add-on cards
The first type works with both regular and smartphones. Just pick the size you need and you are good to go.
Smartphone only cards speak for themselves. They also deliver a certain amount of talk, text, data, and service days.
When talking about unlimited, TracFone still set some limits. Buy this plan for 30 days and you’ll get unlimited text and talk. The data plan can be from 1 to 3 GB.
The final group of cards brings separate services like only talk time or only data. it doesn’t offer a certain number of service days and can be used on smartphones only.
The pros and cons of TracFone
The advantages include:
- An obvious advantage is that it brings more basic features than any other provider. You pay only for what you get and you get as much as you need.
- Compared to other no-contract plans, this is the most affordable option.
- You can expect reliable phone and data connections.
- TracFone is senior- and kid-friendly.
- You may also get a Mexican phone number to stay in touch with your family. They’ll be able to call you at the local rates.
The disadvantages include:
- On the other hand, the plans are more expensive than most competitors offer.
- The company doesn’t offer international text messaging. It won’t be a big issue if you use messengers (since they only need your data).
- Customer support can do better.
- If you need more than 3GB, the services will become too expensive.
- The TracFone unlimited plan turns out to be limited, too.
TracFone is losing its popularity because the plans and phones are limited, expensive, and, honestly, disappointing. Compared to the modern providers and high-speed services, the company stays behind with its offers. It’s not worth buying the devices and plans offered. However, it does bring certain advantages. If you value them a lot, try using the services. Since there is no contract, you can quit anytime.